The new Surface Pro 2 finally arrived at home:
Unfortunately the new type cover 2 is still on the way, will hopefully arrive today.
So this post is about a strange behaviour I have observed. that there is a high, unual latency when my Computer is connected to the WLAN. It is from 50ms to more than 200ms delay. Sometimes I also had some ping loss when constantly pinging the Gateway. I finally figured out what causes the issue. It’s a power option. By default there is a power saving mode enabled for wifi Adapters. On battery, it’s set to Medium Power Saving. After I changed that to Maxiumum Performance, the latency issue disappeared.
This power saving mode would be a good functionality, but having such a high latency in a WLAN on which the delay is usually below 10ms, is not acceptable. Hopefully there will be a fix for that.
I’m not sure if this is a general problem with Windows 8.1 or with Surface Pro 2 Hardware, or even a combination of both. But it has to be fixed by Microsoft.
If you use SC Orchestrator and have the System Center 2012 Integration Pack for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and the SCCM SP1 console installed on the same system, you might experience that the SCCM console crashes every time you want to start it.
Here is how to fix it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2800707/de
The bad News first, you cannot do that from the SCCM console. In SCCM 2007, I created a new custom Folder in which I saved all my custom made reports because I don’t wan’t to mix them up with the built-in ones. In SCCM 2012, you can create a new category with following these steps:
1. Open http://servername/Reports where “servername” has to be replaced with the servername on which the Reporting Services point role has been installed (usually the SQL Server). You should see the following:
2. Browse the folder and then create a new Folder with clicking on “New Folder”. That’s it…
I faced the issue that the Installation of the Reporting Services Point worked, but no Report could be displayed in the SCCM console. After a check in the “SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT” component Status, it was clear that there seems to be an issue:
I finally figured out that there is an issue with the SQL Server Reporting Services. When I tried to Access http://servername/Reports (where servername is your SQL Server with the Reporting Services component installed), there was again a message that no connection could be established to the ReportServer DB. So as a test, I created a new DB for the SQL Server Reporting Services (you can do that with the Reporting Services Configuration Manager) and…guess what…the Reports then showed up in the SCCM console. So there was an issue during the Initial Setup of the SQL Server.